Toile Design is Eco Conception web certified (1). The goal is to create digital tools that have the least impact on the environment.
The Internet is the technology most used in our daily uses and represents 4% of greenhouse gases in 2020 worldwide (2) and 13% of electricity consumption in France (3). The energy consumption of a digital service is not only during its use but throughout the life cycle:
- manufacturing (non-renewable raw materials: zinc, silver, gold, aluminum ... and energy for its extraction and transformation)
- transport and distribution
- end of life (recycling, etc.)
An eco-designed digital project must be efficient (do more with less). The service thus limits the power requirements of the computers in order to extend the life of the physical hardware. That implies :
- optimization at the design level: reflect on the most useful features, the layout of a page, the choice of writing styles, image compression...
- the application of good practices for technical construction (programming).
(1) Certificate eco-conception web
(2) source : GREENIT : www.greenit.fr/2020/10/06/4-des-emissions-de-ges/
(3) source : GREENIT : www.greenit.fr/2018/01/30/numerique-60-de-lenergie-finale-2025/
Weight of a web page & ObeswareToday we don't throw away a cell phone because it doesn't work anymore, but because it is paddling. The applications and programs (software) that we use on a daily basis are increasingly heavy and require more and more power from our machines. 50 years ago, we sent men to the moon with a computer that had a storage capacity of 70 KB and a RAM of 4 KB. Today a website weighs several megabytes (2300 kilobytes according to this study).
the weight of web pages, which has multiplied by 6 between 2008 and 2015 (Green IT) we speak then: of Obesware.
By reducing this phenomenon of "Obesware" (contraction of "obese" and "software"), we are trying to limit the consumption of resources, the time of use and therefore the renewal of machines.